We have been eating Sister Sterling's muffins a LOT the past year, and so I thought it would be a great 1st for my website. I don't plan on most of the recipes having a story - but this one does so I thought I'd share. It's mainly a story about the people themselves and how they fit into my life.
Brother Sterling was blinded in WWII. He did not meet Sister Sterling until after - and so the story he liked to share was that he married a "blind" date. :o) He was also born on February 29th, and so he liked to say that he was really only 24 - because that was how many actual birthdays he had. :o) Brother Sterling passed away this past year, and I am sure he was happy to look down on his eternal companion and "see" her for the first time. I am sure it will be even sweeter when they are one day united again.
So however many years down the road...I came into the story. I am sure my parents had a little talk with me about being blind and what that means. I was probably around 4 or 5, and thought it was cool that Brother Sterling could take a big black dog anywhere he went. :o) Being the thoughtful girl that I was, my mom says that every Sunday I would prance down the aisle, sit right next to Brother Sterling, and describe in ABSOLUTE detail from the top of my head to the tip of my toes what I was wearing - since I knew he couldn't see just how cute I was for himself. :o) The funny thing about this was that I had a favorite outfit - a pink frilly dress with socks and bows to match that my mother had made for me - that I INSISTED on wearing every week to church as long as it fit me. I am sure that by the 3rd or 4th week he could have told me what I was wearing before I even opened my mouth! With all of that said...here is a recipe from his beloved wife Betty:
Preheat oven to 400
Bake: 15-20 minutes
Makes a LOT of muffins - stays good for weeks!
6 eggs
1 quart buttermilk
1 1/2 cups oil
16 oz raisins
2 to 3 cups sugar
4 to 5 cups flour
5 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. salt
1 (15 oz) box All Bran cereal
Mix eggs, buttermilk, oil. Add raisins and sugar - stir. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt together, mix into buttermilk mixture. Add in All Bran. Let sit in fridge over night. Bake in 12-cup muffin pan and enjoy!
What is great about this recipe is that you mix it up, bake the muffins, and then can keep them in the fridge/freezer for weeks (in our house they don't last that long). So breakfast is quick and healthy! You just pull out how many you want, warm them up, and eat 'em with butter. I hate to wash muffin pans, so I make two batches at a time to last us about a month.
Also, I have made them with wheat flour and crushed up walnuts - still yummy. My cousin has made them with Craisins instead of Raisins. No matter what, we liked them! Hope you enjoy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment